Since the establishment of the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in London in 1992, Slovenia has strived to build strong and friendly relationship with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and to offer consular support and protection to Slovenian citizens in the UK.
Many bilateral visits on different levels are reflection of excellent relationship and cooperation between the Republic of Slovenia and the United Kingdom. Notably one of the important visits happened in the year of 2008 when Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh visited Slovenia on an official state visit. Since then many Prime Ministers and other high state officials of both sides have met. Our cooperation relies on mutually shared interests and values, which our nations represent in international organizations such as NATO, UN, OSCE and Council of Europe.
Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia actively works on building Slovenian recognition and reputation in the international community as well as sharing and recognising Slovenian values and interests. Most important tasks of the Embassy can be put in the next categories:
- Building and maintaining relationships with British institutions and their representatives,
- Building and maintaining relationships with devolved governments of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- Informing the British government of Slovenian official policies and standings
- Monitoring British internal and foreign policies
- Promoting Slovenia and possibilities for cooperation between Slovenia and UK in areas in which both countries have shared interests.